Windows Error Code 609
"The device type does not exist."
This error is usually related to modem/hardware issues and is the same as error code 608:
1. in dial up networking, find your connectoid, and make sure that the correct modem is selected in the pull down menu
(sometimes it might just say 'standard modem' instead of your correct modem).
2. Go to modems in the control panel, and check the diagnostics for the modem, you should see a lot of information, if
so, this is the correct modem... If you get the error again, then the modem is not functioning.
3. Make sure no other programs are using the modem, if so close them try again, or reboot the computer and try again.
4. Uninstall and reinstall the modem (make sure you do it as per your manufacturers instructions, use the driver disk
for your modem, etc...
5. Uninstall and reinstall dial up networking...
6. dead modem =( try another modem...
Last Updated February 13, 2005. by webmaster @modemhelp.org